Thursday, May 29, 2008

Embarking on My 4th Decade of Life....

Yesterday I turned 30. I’m ok with this. I have a good job, great friends, a wonderful family, and a house—or rather a mortgage. I really don’t feel any older, except for the pains in my hips. But I’ll get to that in a minute.

Yesterday started off like every other: empty the litter box. I then had a doctor’s appointment to follow-up about my knees and ankles (Doc says things are good just deal with the aches with some glucosamine and OTC pain killers). When I got to the office there was a wonderful Coconut Pineapple cake with cream cheese frosting (everything homemade) waiting on my desk. Breakfast of champions! I also got balloons for the first time in who knows how long and then I was off to PT. We really pushed it and that is why I am now hurting all over. Tell me again how shoulder presses during my toe walks helps? The rest of the day went smoothly. I splurged on a calzone to share with O’Malley for supper and was able to “mow” (only used a line trimmer) just over half of the back yard before getting too tired. I hope to finish the rest tonight and also plan on getting a real mower for the back yard soon. It’s just too much on my arms and back to use the whacker for such a long time. Back inside I spent the night on the phone with the parents and grandparents and watching some old Law & Order episodes. I made it up to bed around 11p. And then a little miracle happened: Daly made it upstairs for the first time by herself. After I kicked her out and put her back downstairs she made the trek again. She also decided that she should come up to my bed and we spent an hour or so (around midnight/1 AM) debating this. She would climb up the dust ruffle and I would drop her back on the floor (mini claws firmly planted in my hands) saying “This is O’Malley’s bed, not Daly’s bed.” After about an hour, now closing in on 2a, I gave up with the thought that O’Malley would fix it herself. So up Daly stayed, just not on Mal’s side of the bed. Then about 2:30, Mal jumps up and paying no mind to the little one on the other side of me, promptly curls up and falls asleep. She stayed up there until about 5:30 then realized Daly was there, jumped down and thought that I should wake up too. Then she went back to ignoring the little one. It was nice to have both of them there, but I woke up about every 30-60 minutes to make sure everything was alright and that I didn’t roll over and crush Daly.

Here is O'Malley enjoying the long holiday weekend.

And little 8 week old Daly doing her best gremlin impression.


Azeveda de La Gaia said...

Happy Birthday! Sorry to hear about the aches and pains. Nice to know that the cats are getting used to each other. Daly does look like a feline Mogwi (Gremlins).

Paola said...

I love reading about other people embarking on the same journey :)
Have a beautiful day,