Monday, November 09, 2009

Almost Christmas?

I'm sure that you, like me, have seen all of the Christmas decorations that have been filling the stores since September. The fact that Christmas is one of my least favorite holidays doesn't help matters. Don't get me wrong, I like gifting and getting gifts and get the whole "Christ"mas idea. But I dislike most Christmas music (some radio stations have already gone to 24 hour Christmas music), the big tacky decorations, the mobbed stores, crazy traffic, traveling, and the cold weather that usually signals the Christmas season. This may be due in part to the fact that Christmas has never been a big holiday for our family. We usually get together at Thanksgiving and New Year's. Since too much family in too short a time can be a bad thing, Christmas is usually a more quiet, non-extended family time. I've spent many a Christmas curled up on a couch alone watching the Godfather trilogy or sleeping in. This December 25th I'll be navigating airports. How about you? Do you like the thrill of the season?
That being said, I have started my Christmas shopping. I always try to get a few things in October in support of Breast Cancer Awareness month. So far I've purchased some beautiful handmade cards to send out (I don't think that I'll have a photo in my cards this year as the girls won't sit still anywhere near each other without an outbreak of claws and hissing.) and a few presents. I have my gifting list started and am waiting to get some of the items. I'm working with a cash budget again this year and don't think I'll have a problem sticking to it. But that means I have to wait for paydays to buy things. I've started my knitted gifts (1 down, many more to go) but need to work on my melt-and-mold soaps and chocolates pretty soon. What's your Christmas plan?

No comments: