Friday, November 13, 2009

Tastes Like Fall

One of my family's favorite fall meals is corn chowder with cornbread made from scratch. After hearing from my mom that corn chowder was on her menu last week, I just knew it needed to me on mine this week. When I got home this evening I set to work chopping and measuring. The chowder was finished and the cornbread out of the oven just in time for me to head out to the very last Extreme Faith nightly meeting. I left the cornbread on the counter with some foil on top, covered the soup and left it on the stove so it would be ready to eat when I got back. When I got home two hours later I realized that I had left the burner on medium! Thankfully it only thickened up the chowder (the recipe--listed below--does say to simmer before serving) and didn't burn down the house. Here is the super simple delicious recipe I use.
Corn Chowder (from Nanny, Mom, Nana Johnson)
Serves 4-6 people
1 large onion, chopped
4-5 potatoes, diced
salt to taste
2 cans cream style corn
1 1/2 cans evaporated milk (soy milk and/or coconut milk also work if you want to go vegan)
Saute onions in oil. Add potatoes and cover with water just to the tops. Add salt. Cook until potatoes are tender. Add corn and evaporated milk. Add a pat of butter if desired (it's always desired by me). Simmer and serve!

No comments: